Thursday, April 1, 2010

Human Touch

Annie (all names have been changed to protect the innocent) surprised me with two hugs today. Normally, she doesn't talk to me at all. Just like her brother. There were times Alex would just ignore me. A little while ago he started making an effort to greet me with a hug every day. After the hug, I ask him how he's doing. Yesterday he shocked me with, "My parents are breaking up."

He said "breaking up". Alex is a third-grader. He and his girlfriends have gotten together and broken up many times before. Maybe children think marriage is as simple as going out.

"Your shoe's untied, Ms. Jennifer!" Oh no, I had already been April-fooled too many times today. "My shoes are not untied!" I replied. Another student sneakily untied my shoelaces when he thought I wasn't looking. I ignored this little stunt, but Alex didn't. He bent down and tied my shoe for me, taking great care to double-tie it.

At dinnertime, I held Papa's hand and hung on to my brother's, while I listened to my Grandma bless the food. My eyes were closed, but I still knew my family was there. I felt them. Sometimes a human connection is all we need to make the world a little more bearable.

1 comment:

Talk to me! :)