Thursday, November 5, 2009

Doctor Who in Person

I just met Doctor Who in person! Well, nothing quite so exciting...



I was walking out of Math class on my way to the library to study some formulas, when I saw a most peculiar sight. He was standing on a ledge as straight as a board. His fine hair was cut right above his ears. His trench coat is what really struck me. Long and brown, it was an exact copy of the one Doctor Who wears. I was breathless as I walked by him. I wondered why he was standing on the ledge, but was too scared to ask. I ran through the library doors and hid behind them. Peering around the edge surreptitiously, like the James Bond I am, I took mental snapshots of him. I eventually sat down to study Math, but (no surprise) I could not concentrate. Jess told me to talk to him, but I felt like a deer caught in headlights. She said, "Fine, I'll go see what he's doing up there." Brave girl. She came back a few nerve-wracking minutes later. Apparently, he was just waiting for a friend (boring!). Jess said, "He's no Doctor Who." But she did admit he had a slight accent. She urges me to forget about him. I will. Until I think of him again.

I had to buy a scantron, and because my own personal Doctor Who was still standing on that ledge, I chose a route to the bookstore so I could walk right past him. My courage gave out and I only looked at him once. When I looked back-- just like that-- he was gone. I wonder if he'll be back tomorrow. I continued to the bookstore to pick out my scantron. As I neared the shelves, I found one of my Math classmates looking for the right scantron. We got to talking about our class, and she mentioned that she noticed I was pretty outgoing. I beamed. Since I was a young teenager, I've struggled with my shyness. Coming to college and working has definitely helped me open up to more people and be less afraid. This is a turning point!

I came home to study my Algebraic formulas after work, because, needless to say, I had not been able to concentrate on them before. I studied for a bit, but then got distracted on the computer. I was reading my Mom's blog, which took me to a blog with a doughnut recipe on it, which showcased a blog about good Christmas presents for children. This made me think about how I needed to find some cute homemade gifts while I still had some days before Christmas. I signed into Google Reader so I could search for blogs, when my eye wandered to the only blog, other than my mother's, that I'm following: Planet Gallifrey. It is a blog for Doctor Who fans.

A few weeks ago, I stopped reading Planet Gallifrey because it had nothing useful to say, but this time, as I checked the blog posts, I found information on the next Doctor Who special, Waters of Mars. I'm excited because it is due to air on November 15th. Finally! I've been waiting so long! And that's not all! I found that an interview with David Tennant was included in the blog post. EEK! Oh, his Scottish accent was so beautiful! And -- get this -- he actually used the word, 'burgled'. Isn't that fantastic? I love watching any BBC shows or news because they always sound so refined. David Tennant rounded off the interview by saying it was "a great pleasure". No one talks like this anymore. I love it!

4 comments:

  1. I love the fact that you're writing in your blog again!

    Great job and very entertaining.

    Definitely talk to that guy next time you see him. Not everyone can be Dr. Who....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could start writing a book now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer, Hi. I saw your blog while looking for info on the coat David wears. I too am a huge Docotor Who fan. What do you think of Matt Smith as the new Doctor? He's Ok, but the's no David Tennant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jazzcatj, sorry for the delay. I did not find this comment until today. I really loved David Tennant, so seeing him go was really hard. Matt Smith was fine, especially since his face is so weird, he could be an alien. Lol. But as you say, he's no Tennant. I'm already waiting for his next regeneration.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! :)