Thursday, May 20, 2010

How Will I Cope Without My Crutches?

I am going into surgery tomorrow morning. "That's great", you say? I agree. It will be such a relief to have this bone chip out of my knee so that I can begin to heal. It's been difficult being unable to perform some of the most elementary tasks properly. Simple things like retrieving stuff from my room, going out to eat, and even taking a shower, are surprisingly difficult when I'm on crutches. To be perfectly honest though...

I am kinda going to miss being on crutches.





Believe it or not, there are both downsides and upsides to having a bone fragment lodged behind your knee cap. Sounds like it's time for a --da-da-da-daaaaah-- Pros and Cons list!


Pro: With the help of my crutches, the light switches are easier to reach from my bed.

Con: Lying down and getting comfortable in bed is not that easy with a leg brace.

Pro: Cute guy looks at me and shares an empathetic story to cheer me up.

Con: My leg brace leaves me rooted to the chair when he gets up and leaves.

Pro: Professors are really nice about postponing the finals for me.

Con: The strong pain killers make it really hard to study for said finals.

Pro: My sister is sweet and helps me get ready to go.

Con: She has to help me tie my shoes, something I cannot do, due to my leg brace.

Pro: I get the comfiest recliner in the house (pictured above) to rest my aching limb.

Con: While the couch does cushion my leg, it does little for the pain.

Pro: I get to sleep in late and watch as much TV as I want to, because I don't have to go to work.

Con: I could end up missing some very important end-of-the-year events for my students.

Pro: Not having to tidy up very much, because it is really difficult to clean on crutches.

Con: The guilty feeling I get when I can't clean up after my own messes.

Pro: Random people are sympathetic and express wishes for my well-being.

Con: People feel awkward about my injury and avert their eyes.

Pro: I can justify eating candy and ice-cream to make me feel better.

Con: Without the use of my left leg, it is very hard to do any exercises to burn off those calories.


I have gotten used to all of the pampering and attention that my loving family has shown me, and it will be difficult getting back into the swing of regular life and work, but all in all, I know that I will be relieved and grateful when I'll be able to do everything on my own again.

I'll be so glad when all the things on this list go away and everything returns to normal. --Except for eating candy and ice-cream...I might keep doing that...

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy it while you can....
    It might seem like a long time...
    But it will soon be over...
    and then we'll make you work again!! Ha!!
    Love you lots, Jennifer!!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! :)