Sunday, November 28, 2010

Surprise Prayers from a Worship Song

I love our early morning worship service, even on days that I don't love waking up early to go to church. Our worship team is composed of young people that perform contemporary songs. I love it because I already know the songs we sing from listening to them on the car radio.

This morning, a song that I had heard of, but had never really digested, played while the offering plate was going around. The song took me by surprise, because it listed ways to react to different situations in life. This really caught my attention, because I have a bit of a poor memory. I am constantly forgetting how I should pray in different circumstances in order to live the spirit-lived life that Jesus wants for me.

I posted the lyrics here:


The Desert Song Lyrics

Verse 1:
This is my prayer in the desert
When all that's within me feels dry

This is my prayer in the hunger in me

My God is a God who provides


Verse 2:
And this is my prayer in the fire

In weakness or trial or pain

There is a faith proved

Of more worth than gold

So refine me Lord through the flames


Chorus:
And I will bring praise
I will bring praise

No weapon forged against me shall remain


I will rejoice

I will declare

God is my victory and He is here


Verse 3:
And this is my prayer in the battle

And triumph is still on it's way

I am a conqueror and co-heir with Christ

So firm on His promise I'll stand


Bridge:
All of my life

In every season

You are still God

I have a reason to sing

I have a reason to worship


Verse 4:
This is my prayer in the harvest

When favor and providence flow

I know I'm filled to be emptied again

The seed I've received I will sow




That last verse is really my favorite part of the song. When things are going great, I thank God for what is happening, but I forget to bless others with what I've been given. When God gives us talents or a little extra of something, He expects us to turn around and give back to others.

I was amazed to find that my Sunday School lesson was also about giving back. We learned that if we follow Jesus long enough, we will become fishers for Him. It is not something that we do all on our own. Jesus said, "Follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
My prayer is now, "Lord, take all of my talents and failings and make something that can be used for You."

I encourage you to take whichever verse most strikes a cord with you, and add it to your daily prayers. It has already begun to bless me, and I hope it helps you too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 comment:

Talk to me! :)