Friday, May 13, 2011

Have I Been in the Same Place Too Long?

This past semester at my college, I got into a comfortable routine. I went to the bookstore cafe at my college at least twice a week. At every visit, I ordered a tall coffee and a venti ice water. I would try to time it just right so I could get a discount from the barista who didn't feel right charging me for tap water. Always returning to the same Starbucks week after week had a comforting familiarity to it. That is, until last week.

On my brother's last day of finals I lined up behind another Starbuck's customer, who was taking rather a long time chatting with her barista. I stood there patiently for ten minutes before my regular barista noticed me and asked, "Tall coffee and a large ice water? And room for cream, right?"

Uh oh.

Have I really been here long enough to have a 'usual'? I have seen people on TV order their 'usuals' all the time, but I never thought I would be one of them. At first I was flattered that someone actually remembered my order, but then I started feeling a little apprehensive.

A butterfly flits from place to place, never staying on the same flower for very long, and I feel like I have been that butterfly for years. Rarely have I stayed in the same place for more than two years. Recently I started noticing all of the roots I have put down here. A quick look at my calendar reveals that, yes, I have been living in the same place for just over two years.

Staying in the same place might be scary to me, but it is where God wants me to be right now, because I can feel, deep down, that I am doing a good work where I am. I cannot let my crazy antsy feelings get in the way of God's work.

That being said, I am still ecstatic to be transferring to a new school this coming fall. :)

2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to live long enough somewhere for that to happen.
    Debbie said you have to teach your wait staff what your favorites are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The other option is for you to spice things up and vary your orders from time to time, keep them guessing.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! :)