Thursday, December 2, 2010

TJ's Movie Reviews: From Classic to Not-Quite-So Classic* Part I


*Any movie reviews under this title are written by
film critic T.J. Morrow.





The Deer Hunter
1978

A heart wrenching movie about how the Vietnam war affected a group of friends. Though the movie was very sad around the end, it was very hard for me to get that that emotional point, because the movie was hard to get into at first. The wedding scene went on forever. I was half asleep by the time it ended. I'm not quite sure why they did that during the filming. I'm sure some reviewers would say that it was filmed like that to get the viewer to know the characters more and to fully understand the horror the war caused to the families. I didn't quite get that. I think the time used for the wedding scene could have been used better.

I also thought the naked DeNiro scene was just unnecessary. It seemed thrown in the movie just to fulfill the actor's need to show his dedication to the film.

But all that aside, it was not bad. The acting all around was good. What saved the movie from being a total waste of time was the fine acting by almost everyone involved in the picture. De Niro's emotionally restrained character was well done, while Christopher Walken's final scene was truly an Oscar-worthy performance. Also, the use of the song, "God Bless America" at the end of the movie seemed pretty significant to me. I felt as if it was a song of innocence lost and patriotism. It could be interpreted that each character had a different view of America and Vietnam. The movie never quite says what the characters feel, but it doesn't have to.

I just wish more of the movie was in Vietnam and not at a wedding after-party.

My rating for The Deer Hunter: 3.5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me! :)