Friday, December 18, 2009

Five Golden Rings

Mm mm. I picked the aubergine-colored ring off of the cupcake. I was going to enjoy this purple cupcake. It was the type that is so sweet, you die and ascend to a sugary heaven. But then it all became too sweet and I had to wash it down with some not-as-sweet cola.

"Third grade!" A voice called out from the next room. That meant me. As the third-grade teacher, I was responsible for lining the children to meet Santa Claus and accept their presents. I threw away my cupcake wrapper on the way to the door. Everyone was so excited to be so close to opening the gifts. After all these weeks of waiting, Santa was finally here. The children seemed to be thinking, Would I get what I wanted? If I was extra nice to Santa, could I trade my gift in for a better one? You could cut the anticipation in the air with a cake knife. I finally corralled all the children together and walked into the room where Santa Claus himself was sitting near a Christmas tree with gifts at his feet. He called the kids one by one until each child had gotten a gift-wrapped toy, lovingly made by one of his "elves". Seeing the joy on some of the faces of the children was a lovely treat for me.

After the last child left, my sister drove me home so we could quickly decorate a few cookies. Embellishing those trees, angels, snowmen, bells, and baubles was great fun, and we finished them in enough time to be fashionably late for our Christmas cookie swap. Our friend had made angel hair with a bolognese sauce for dinner. It was delicious. We waited a few minutes for our stomachs to settle, and then attacked our Christmas goodies. My sister and I had brought cinnamon rolls and sugar cookies, and another good friend had brought brownies. As we consumed these scrumptious desserts, our conversation careened between topics like college classes and celebrities. We ate sweets until we could not stand the sight of any of our desserts. Even though we can no longer see the goodies, our stomachs and the lack of energy after a sugar rush are constant reminders of the gluttony of an earlier moment. Now I know why sugar plums dance in children's heads on the night before Christmas.--They can't think of anything else!

On the fifth day of Christmas my True Love gave to me five Christmas treats, four different books, three great dames, two hands two thumbs, and a volunteer named Mary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me! :)