Saturday, December 12, 2009

Time to Clean this Old House

My first plans for Christmas Break involved not much more than hiding away hermit-style and reading all those books I had promised myself I'd read later. I would just love to read The Norton Reader, which is a collection of essays and book excerpts, that I had to buy for school.

All that reading would make me hungry. Wouldn't it be loverly to sit and read until spring crept over me windowsill, eating homemade Christmas cookies the whole time? I could bake them during Christmas break.

Oh, but I would gain weight! And how! How would I keep off the pounds and also prepare for the coming kickboxing class in the spring? I would have to fit in some time for walking and the occasional sit-up.

While I'm exercising, I might as well become completely healthy and change my eating habits. For years I have been trying different things to make my face blemish-free, and so far, nothing has worked. I am now considering eating and drinking differently, as what we eat has been known to show up on our faces.

As I Google all sorts of diets and high-protein foods, I am also reading a blog. The blog talks about how not everyone is blessed with comfort at any time of the year, much less at Christmastime.

I jotted on my schedule to remember to volunteer during Christmas break. My Sunday School teacher and friend had recommended a feed-the-homeless program. The Salvation Army always needed help too.

By now my schedule is looking pretty full. How will I fit it all in? I become frustrated, and matters are made no better when the villains of this world aggravate me. I wonder what's wrong with me and why don't I feel Christmasy.

Then I remember, oh yeah, I should probably read some Bible during Christmas Break too. As I jot it last on my list, I ask myself, could my priorities be screwed up? I sigh and walk to my room, where I should find my Bible hardly touched since Sunday.

I can't find my Bible.

My room is in such a sad state, jackets thrown here, essays stockpiled there. I cannot but help thinking that my room is a reflection on my life. Time to get my priorities straight. Spending time with my Savior and reflecting on His Word have to come first. Before reading, baking, exercising, dieting, or even volunteering, I must clean this old house. I feel inspired by the song "Whatever You're Doing" by Sanctus Real. Here is the youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06AgY5Xoavw

I will leave you with the ditty that occasionally pops into my head:


Jesus and others and you
What a wonderful way to spell joy
Jesus and others and you
in the life of each girl and each boy
“J” is for Jesus for He has first place,
“O” is for others you meet face to face,
“Y” is for you, in whatever you do,
Put your self third and spell JOY

1 comment:

  1. I think this is your best post so far, Jennifer. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! :)