Saturday, December 26, 2009

Never Enough Time in the Day

I sat in my parked car, looking at the little blue sticker in the left corner. I shook my head when I thought about how I had waited until that little sucker had been expired two months. At the time, I had told myself I would re-register the car when I found the time, but everything had seemed more important. As I was stepping out of the car, my sweater button snagged on the door handle. Barely attached by a string, the button hung on for dear life. I must sew that back on some time. You know what they say: "A stitch in time, saves nine". I shuffled into the house, scraping my shoes on the doormat, as I do. Dry leaves were scattered not only on the doormat, but also on the rest of the living room floor. My, the floor was looking messy. But I cannot vacuum today, I told myself, I always clean the floors on Sunday.

As I entered my room, I tossed my sweater and purse into my closet, right onto my hamper, which was full of clean clothes. Jessica had done the laundry a few days ago, how nice of her! I shoved the book I had been reading off of my bed, and then turned on the computer, from habit. Holiday cards lay sprawled out on the desk, some of them with writing in them. Having waited too late, I had not sent the cards to friends and family in time for Christmas. Now they retired above my drawers, useless. My eyes traveled to the pile of gifts I had received for Christmas. Pressed underneath a magic scarf and a beaded coin purse, was an art pad that had drawing tips. A few charcoal pencils lay beside the sketch pad, ready for use. I loved to draw, when I had the time. Maybe that would be nice for a day when I have nothing else to do.

I jumped on top of my bed and pulled the computer onto my lap. All I needed to check online was my Facebook page and my email. Oh, were my friends online? I had not talked to them in ages! After chatting with several chums for a while, they all left on various missions that led them away from the computer. My fingers hovered over the keys, not knowing what to do next. Now I was really bored. What was there to do? I opted for Zoo World, for after all, everyone deserves some down time every once in a while. I reorganized all the animals and attractions on the zoo map, and then realized what time it was. Way too late to stay up if I wanted to get anything accomplished tomorrow. Soon, I lay in bed, gazing at the ceiling. I had not made the best use of my time today. Well, I consoled myself, tomorrow is another day, and I am going to only do productive things.

The alarm clock belted out a gospel tune, and I clapped my hand over the snooze button.

1 comment:

Talk to me! :)