Monday, December 14, 2009

A Partridge In a Pear Tree

On the first day of Christmas my True Love gave to me... a volunteer named Mary.

As much as I love my kids from St. John's after-school program, they can be quite a handful. There are nineteen 3rd graders in all, and they're all mine. While the boys are in the middle of a scuffle because of a look, I have often prayed for someone to help me with them.

Today was Mary's first regular volunteering day. She helped out on Friday, but that day we just practiced "Silent Night" in sign language, and went outside to play, since the children did not have any homework. Because we are so close to Christmas, the children came with much less homework than usual. Yay! During reading time, some of the children read aloud. I allow this, because it helps some of them focus. Unfortunately, this encourages some of the other kids to talk to each other, thinking the teachers wouldn't notice. Before you know it, the whole room is abuzz and no one can hear herself think. In the middle of the rumblings in the room, Mary shook her head and said, "How do you do this every day?" I could only tell her that it gets better after a while. And it does. Strangely, her reaction makes me feel better. Remembering how overwhelming a situation feels at first shows me how far we've already come. Looking back makes it easier for me to look forward to the future.

A little later, Mary found her voice. She asked a student a whether he had homework or not. He disrespectfully answered with a muttered response, but Mary was not having any of that! She turned to him and said "What did you just say to me?" This time he answered honestly, saying, "No ma'am" as clear as day. The winds, they are a-changing! I was so glad that Mary was someone who I could rely on as a helper during homework.

Thank You, Jesus, for sending Mary to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me! :)